Paneer Lababdar is an easy-to-prepare, restaurant-style dish of paneer (Indian cottage cheese) in a creamy, mildly tangy and faintly candy gravy. Onions, tomatoes, cashews and spices make this a wealthy, flavorful and scrumptious recipe. This vegetarian Paneer Lababdar recipe can be naturally gluten-free.
About Paneer Lababdar Recipe
It’s a common paneer gravy dish and might be discovered on the menu of many Indian eating places.
My paneer lababdar recipe is extra Punjabi type than Mughlai type with the addition of onions, tomatoes, cashews and spices. It doesn’t rely closely on the utilization of loads of nuts, dry fruits or seeds. Cashews are the one nuts added within the recipe.
Paneer lababdar is really a dish that you’ll at all times like to make for particular days or pageant days. Its richness, creaminess and deliciousness will wow you each time. Completely apt to make for festive or particular events.
What’s Paneer Lababdar fabricated from?
Paneer lababdar gravy is constructed from a spiced tomato and cashew paste that’s then sautéed with onions, extra spices and herbs, has a stunning tang to it and is filled with taste. The addition of sugar and cream give the dish a creamy and faintly candy style.
You want your common Indian pantry staple substances to make this restaurant type paneer lababdar recipe.
- Paneer (Indian cottage cheese): That is the primary ingredient within the dish and it is very important use a great high quality paneer. In actual fact, as with all my paneer recipes, I like to recommend utilizing Selfmade Paneer. This ensures freshness and avoids any hidden substances and preservatives present in store-bought paneer.
- Tomatoes: Giving the dish a little bit of tang, tomatoes are an essential ingredient within the gravy. You’ll want to select tomatoes that aren’t too tangy or bitter.
- Cashews: The creamy consistency in paneer lababdar comes from cashews. The cashews are floor to a paste with the tomatoes. Cashews additionally add a stunning sweetness to the dish.
- Cream: Including cream additionally provides to the sweetness and richness within the gravy making it a restaurant type dish.
- Onions: Within the curry, onions aren’t pureed, however chopped and evenly caramelized. Thus they add some sweetness and a slight sharp taste to the curry.
- Spices and Herbs: Many of the spices and herbs used on this recipe are widespread and also you in all probability have already got them in your kitchen. The garam masala powder might be bought, however can be an excellent spice to make from scratch and have readily available. Right here I share the recipe for making Garam Masala Powder.
Learn how to make Paneer Lababdar
1. To a small pan add the next listed substances:
- 1.5 cups chopped tomatoes (Use tomatoes that aren’t too tangy or bitter)
- 10 to 12 cashews
- 1 inch chopped ginger
- 2 to three chopped garlic cloves (medium-sized)
- 1 inexperienced cardamom
- 2 cloves
- ½ cup water
2. Change on the stovetop and simmer this combination on a low warmth.
3. Cook dinner till the tomatoes are softened. If the water dries up and the tomatoes aren’t softened, then add about 2 to three tablespoons water and proceed to cook dinner. After I cooked, virtually all of the water had evaporated.
4. Permit this combination to grow to be heat or cool utterly at room temperature. Switch all the substances to a grinder or blender jar.
5. Grind or mix to a clean paste. There shouldn’t be any cashews or tomato chunks within the paste.
It’s possible you’ll add some water if required whereas grinding or mixing. Set this floor tomato-cashew-spices paste apart.
Sautéing onions and tomato paste
6. Warmth 2 tablespoons butter in a pan, kadai or wok. You can even use ghee (clarified butter) or a neutral-tasting oil.
Warmth the butter on a low to medium warmth making certain that it doesn’t burn.
7. Add 1 tej patta (Indian bay leaf) and saute for a few seconds.
8. Add ½ cup finely chopped onions.
9. Stir and blend properly.
10. Then proceed to saute in addition to stir and cook dinner till the onions grow to be gentle golden or golden on medium-low to medium warmth.
11. Then add the tomato-cashew-spices paste. The combination will splutter if there may be water in it, so watch out.
12. Stir and blend totally.
13. Add the next floor spice powders:
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (floor cumin)
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (floor coriander)
- ½ teaspoon crimson chili powder or cayenne pepper
14. Stir the bottom spices. Saute this masala on low to medium-low warmth. You will note the masala clumping and gathering round itself.
15. Sauté till you see fats leaving the perimeters of the masala paste. The masala will even look shiny and glossy.
Making Paneer Lababdar
16. Then add 1 cup of water to the peerlessly sauteed masala.
17. Combine very properly.
18. Add 1 or 2 slit inexperienced chilies.
19. Stir and permit the gravy to come back to a simmer on medium-low to medium warmth.
20. Then season with salt in line with your style preferences.
21. Add sugar. I added ½ teaspoon of sugar however you possibly can add as per your style.
21. Add 200 grams paneer which has been reduce into cubes or squares. Additionally add 2 tablespoons grated paneer.
Right here I used recent home made paneer. If utilizing frozen paneer, then hold it in heat water for some minutes after which slice in addition to grate it.
22. Gently combine and change off the warmth.
23. Then sprinkle 1 teaspoon kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves) which have been crushed together with ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder. Combine very properly once more.
24. Add ¼ cup low fats cream or 1 to 2 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream.
25. Combine once more gently very properly taking care that the paneer cubes don’t break. You can even add 1 tablespoon of butter at this step or dot the gravy with butter whereas serving. That is non-compulsory.
26. Garnish paneer lababdar with chopped coriander leaves (cilantro) and ginger julienne.
Paneer labadar goes very properly with Indian flatbreads, together with roti, naan, or pudina paratha. Additionally, this creamy gravy might be served with jeera rice or vegetable pulao.
FAQs for Paneer Lababdar
Sure undoubtedly. Add 1.5 cups of canned tomatoes whereas mixing cashews. You do not want to cook dinner the canned tomatoes with cashews. For tomato puree, add ¾ cup of it immediately when sautéing with the cashew paste. You simply must make the cashew and spices paste for those who use tomato puree.
Kasuri methi are dried fenugreek leaves. For those who don’t have them, simply skip them.
Sure in fact! To get the delicate flavors of onion and garlic with out truly utilizing them within the recipe, add 1 pinch of asafetida or hing (that’s in case you have it) when sautéing the tomato-cashew paste.
Sure you possibly can simply skip including cream.
Malai which is the clotted cream that collects on the highest of boiled milk needs to be whipped to a clean flowing consistency earlier than you add it to the gravy.
Add almonds which have been blanched in sizzling water for half-hour with their peels eliminated.
Sure positive you are able to do that. Dhungar methodology will make your paneer lababdar have really smoky restaurant type flavors.
Substitute agency tofu, seitan, tempeh with paneer. Skip including cream altogether or exchange it with coconut cream. Add a impartial tasting oil as an alternative of butter.
Sure you possibly can undoubtedly do this. My recipe might be simply scaled. If freezing, paneer lababdar gravy stays properly for a couple of month. Within the fridge, it stays good for a few days.
Please you should definitely charge this recipe within the recipe card under in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Signal Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Fb, Pinterest or Twitter.
Paneer Lababdar is an easy-to-prepare, restaurant-style curry of paneer (cottage cheese cubes) in a creamy, mildly tangy and faintly candy gravy. This vegetarian Paneer Lababdar recipe can be naturally gluten-free.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook dinner Time 25 minutes
Whole Time 40 minutes
Forestall your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Getting ready tomato-cashew paste
Take chopped tomatoes, cashews, chopped ginger and garlic, inexperienced cardamom, cloves and water in a small pan. Use tomatoes which aren’t too tangy or bitter.
Change on the flame and simmer this combination on a low flame.
Cook dinner till the tomatoes are softened. If the water dries up and the tomatoes aren’t softened, then add about 2 to three tablespoons water and proceed to cook dinner.
Permit this combination to grow to be heat or cool utterly and add to a grinder or blender jar.
Grind to a clean paste with none cahsews or tomato chunks or items. It’s possible you’ll add some water if required whereas grinding. Hold this floor tomato-cashew-spices paste apart.
Sautéing onions and tomato-cashew paste
Warmth butter in pan or kadai or wok. Add the tej patta and sauté for a few seconds.
Add finely chopped onions. Stir properly.
Then proceed to saute in addition to stir and cook dinner until the onions grow to be gentle golden or golden.
Then add the tomato-cashew-spices paste. The combination will splutter if there may be water in it, so watch out. Stir very properly.
Add cumin powder, coriander powder and crimson chili powder.
Stir and saute this masala. You will note the masala clumping and gathering round itself.
Saute until you see fats leaving the perimeters of the masala paste.
Making paneer lababdar
Then add water. Combine very properly.
Add the slit inexperienced chilies.
Stir and permit the gravy to come back to a simmer. Then season with salt and sugar.
Add paneer cubes and grated paneer.
Gently combine and mix.
Then sprinkle kasuri methi which has been crushed with the garam masala powder. Stir very properly once more.
Lastly add the low-fat cream or heavy whipping cream. Change off the warmth & mix very properly. You can even add 1 tablespoon butter at this step. That is non-compulsory.
Garnish paneer lababdar with chopped coriander leaves and ginger julienne. Serve with chapati, tandoori roti or naan. It additionally goes properly with cumin rice or veg pulao.
- Tomatoes: Rather than recent tomatoes, use 1.5 cups of canned tomatoes whereas mixing cashews. You do not want to cook dinner the canned tomatoes with cashews. You can even use ¾ cup tomato puree and add it when sautéing with the cashew paste. You solely must make the cashew and spices paste if you’re going to use tomato puree.
- Kasuri Methi: Skip dried fenugreek leaves for those who do not need them.
- Paneer: Use further agency or agency tofu rather than paneer.
- Cream: You’ll be able to skip cream or use coconut cream. Malai which is the clotted cream that collects on the highest of boiled milk can be added after it has been whipped to a clean flowing consistency.
- With out onion and garlic: Add 1 pinch of asafetida or hing (in case you have it) as an alternative when sautéing the tomato-cashew paste.
- Dhungar Methodology: Giving dhungar will make the paneer lababdar have a very smoky restaurant type taste.
- Make forward and storage: You’ll be able to simply scale my paneer lababdar recipe. Within the freezer, it retains properly for a couple of month. Within the fridge, it stays good for a few days.
- Vegan choices: Add a impartial tasting oil as an alternative of butter. Substitute agency tofu, seitan, tempeh with paneer. Skip including cream altogether or exchange it with coconut cream.
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 353 Energy from Fats 270
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 18g113%
Ldl cholesterol 81mg27%
Vitamin A 1021IU20%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin B12 1µg17%
Vitamin C 14mg17%
Vitamin D 1µg7%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Okay 7µg7%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 13µg3%
* P.c Every day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie food plan.
This Paneer Lababdar Recipe publish from the weblog archives first printed in Feb 2015 has been republished and up to date on 21 June 2022.