I actually assume, the truth is imagine that for those who go to any family in India, you will see Aloo (Potato) at any given cut-off date, all 12 months spherical. It’s only a very useful veggie for all of us. Considerably comparable is the case of Curd (or dahi yogurt). When mixed in a single recipe, it outcomes on this scrumptious Dahi Aloo or Dahi Wale Aloo which is nothing however potatoes simmered in a tangy spiced yogurt sauce. You possibly can name it as an Aloo Kadhi, because it has gram flour too. It’s easy, straightforward and scrumptious.
About Dahi Aloo
Dahi Wale Aloo or just Dahi Aloo is a household particular recipe, from my in-laws’ aspect. Thus, this can be a Punjabi model curry dish, the place you simply must boil the potatoes. Making ready the yogurt sauce is definitely a fast course of. I often make it as a fast aspect gravy dish with roti or steamed rice.
This Dahi Wale Aloo additionally has besan (gram flour) as one of many substances. Therefore, tastes loads like a kadhi. The distinction is that this one makes use of a vegetable whereas the normal Punjabi Kadhi has fried Onion Pakoda in it paired along with distinctive spices and herbs.
Along with the aloo and dahi, different substances of this Dahi Wale Aloo recipe are fairly fundamental like onion, garlic, ginger, tomato, inexperienced chilies, spice powders and seasonings. Whereas utilizing the yogurt, I might counsel you utilize contemporary curd, ideally selfmade one.
Dahi Wali Arbi and Dahi Bhindi are two extra recipes which have greens cooked in comparable yogurt sauces. Each are a private favourite and a liked one at my residence. The second you strive these, you’ll too be hooked on these.
Steamed rice, roti or chapati are your standard choices to pair with Dahi Wale Aloo. You possibly can add peas pulao and jeera rice too on this record.
The way to make Dahi Wale Aloo
1. Rinse and boil/steam 300 grams (3 medium to massive) potatoes until they’re fully cooked. You possibly can cook dinner them in a 3 litre stovetop strain cooker for 3 to 4 whistles including 2 cups water.
Alternatively select to steam or cook dinner potatoes in a steamer or electrical cooker or Instantaneous Pot including water as wanted.
When the strain drops naturally within the cooker, then solely open the lid. Fastidiously take away the boiled potatoes with tongs. Set the potatoes apart to chill on a plate.
2. In one other bowl, take 1 cup contemporary curd/yogurt and whisk until clean. Completely set selfmade Curd is best.
3. Add 2 to 2.5 tablespoons gram flour (besan).
4. Subsequent, add 1.5 cups water and whisk to a clean slurry utilizing a small wired whisk. There needs to be no lumps of gram flour. Maintain apart.
5. When the potatoes are nonetheless heat, peel them. Crumble and preserve apart.
Make Dahi Aloo
6. In a pan, warmth 2 tablespoons oil and add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds. Sauté on low to medium-low warmth until the cumin seeds crackle and alter shade.
7. Then, add ⅓ cup finely chopped onions.
8. Sauté until the onions flip translucent on low to medium-low warmth.
9. Add 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger, 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic and 1 teaspoon finely chopped inexperienced chilies. Stir and sauté for half a minute on low warmth.
10. Subsequent, add 7 to eight curry leaves and 1 pinch asafoetida (hing). Sauté on low warmth for about half a minute.
11. Now, add ⅓ cup finely chopped tomatoes.
12. Stir effectively to combine.
13. Sauté on medium-low to medium warmth until the tomatoes develop into pulpy and also you see the oil leaving sides of the masala.
14. Add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon pink chili powder and ½ teaspoon coriander powder.
Should you want, you’ll be able to spice the gravy extra by including ¼ to ½ teaspoon pink chili powder. Combine and stir very effectively.
15. Now, add the boiled crumbled potatoes.
16. Stir and sauté for about 2 minutes.
17. Maintain the warmth to low or change off the warmth and add the curd and gram flour slurry.
18. As quickly as you add the curd slurry, stir shortly to mix and blend every thing.
19. Stir to combine completely.
20. Simmer the gravy for 8 to 10 minutes on low warmth. If the gravy turns into thick, then you’ll be able to add some water. Stir a couple of instances whereas the sauce is simmering.
21. Then, add salt as per style.
22. Stir to combine after which add ½ teaspoon garam masala powder.
23. Stir once more and change off the warmth. Add 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves.
- As a lot as doable, use contemporary selfmade curd for this recipe. Make it possible for the curd will not be too tangy or bitter.
- Use a stovetop strain cooker or steamer or electrical cooker or Instantaneous pot to cook dinner the potatoes. Peel and crumble them when nonetheless heat. Watch out although.
- The gram flour and yogurt slurry combination must be whisked until clean. It shouldn’t have any lumps in it. So use a wired whisk whereas making the yogurt slurry.
- If you would like, you’ll be able to have a spicier curry by growing the pink chili powder amount or add extra inexperienced chillies.
- For a richer model of this dish, choose to shallow fry or deep fry chopped uncooked potatoes till gentle golden. Add these fried potatoes on the similar step the place the boiled potatoes are added.
- If the sauce turns into too thick whereas simmering, add some water to skinny the consistency barely.
Please make sure to fee this recipe within the recipe card beneath in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Signal Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Fb, Pinterest or Twitter.
Dahi Aloo Recipe | Dahi Wale Aloo
Dahi Aloo is scrumptious recipe of potatoes simmered in spiced and tangy yogurt sauce. It’s also known as Dahi Wale Aloo and is greatest served with roti, chapati or steamed rice.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 25 minutes
Whole Time 45 minutes
Stop your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Rinse after which boil/steam potatoes until they’re fully cooked.
- You possibly can cook dinner them in a 3 litre stovetop strain cooker with 2 cups water for 3 to 4 whistles. Or select to steam them in an Instantaneous Pot or steamer pan or electrical cooker including water as wanted.
When the strain drops by itself within the cooker, then solely take away the lid. Fastidiously take away the potatoes with a pair of tongs and put aside to chill.
When the potatoes are nonetheless heat, peel them. Crumble and preserve apart.
In one other bowl, take the contemporary curd or dahi (yogurt) and whisk until clean.
Add 2 to 2.5 tablespoons of besan (gram flour).
Subsequent add 1.5 cups water and whisk this combination until clean. There needs to be no tiny lumps of gram flour on this slurry combination
Chop the onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and inexperienced chilies finely.
Making dahi aloo
In a pan warmth 2 tbsp oil and add cumin seeds. Fry on low warmth until the cumin seeds crackle and alter shade.
Then add finely chopped onions.
Stirring typically sauté onions on low to medium-low warmth until the onions flip translucent and are softened.
Add finely chopped ginger, finely chopped garlic and finely chopped inexperienced chilies. Stir and sauté for half a minute on low to medium-low warmth.
Subsequent add curry leaves and asafoetida. Sauté on low to medium-low warmth for about half a minute.
Now add finely chopped tomatoes.
Stir and saute on medium-low to medium warmth or until the tomatoes develop into pulpy and also you see oil leaving sides of the masala combination.
Add turmeric powder, pink chili powder and coriander powder. For a spicier gravy add ¼ to ½ teaspoon extra of the pink chili powder. Stir and blend very effectively.
Now add the boiled crumbled potatoes. Stir and sauté for about 2 minutes on low to medium-low warmth.
Maintain the flame to a low or flip off the warmth after which add the curd and gram flour slurry.
As quickly as you add the curd slurry, stir instantly. Stir and blend completely.
Simmer the gravy for 8 to 10 minutes on a low warmth. If the gravy turns into thick, then you’ll be able to add some water.
Season with salt as per style.
Stir to combine after which add garam masala powder and a couple of tbsp chopped coriander leaves. Swap off the warmth.
Lastly, stir and serve Dahi Aloo with both chapati or roti or steamed rice. It additionally goes very effectively with cumin rice or peas pulao.
- To make recipes like these that makes use of curd or dahi, it’s best to make use of contemporary selfmade curd.
- For a extra fancier and richer model of the recipe, you’ll be able to select to shallow fry or deep fry uncooked potato cubes till gentle golden, as an alternative of boiling or steaming them.
- To thicken the yogurt sauce gram flour is used. In case you are not a fan of gram flour, strive utilizing cornflour (cornstarch) or rice flour or tapioca flour. However needless to say the style of the dish will probably be completely different while you use these flours.
Dahi Aloo Recipe | Dahi Wale Aloo
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 249 Energy from Fats 117
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 3g19%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 9g
Ldl cholesterol 11mg4%
Vitamin A 367IU7%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.1mg7%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.2mg12%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 28mg140%
Vitamin B6 0.4mg20%
Vitamin B12 0.3µg5%
Vitamin C 71mg86%
Vitamin D 0.1µg1%
Vitamin E 4mg27%
Vitamin Ok 5µg5%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 324µg81%
* % Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food plan.
This Dahi Aloo recipe submit from the weblog archives first revealed in June 2015 has been republished and up to date on 14 July 2022.