Millets are a category of cereal crops which were an essential indigenous foodstuff for us Indians. This household consists of nutritious grains which can be used to make many Indian dishes. A few of these are finger millet (ragi/nachni), barley (jau), amaranth (rajgira), sorghum (jowar) and pearl millet (bajra), which additionally fall underneath the class of historical grains of India. This Ragi Kheer (or Ragi Pudding) is made with the flour of the finger millet. It’s a easy, fast and actually tasty dessert.
About Ragi Kheer
Ragi Kheer is that Indian dessert which you’ll typically put together simply at dwelling over your common rice kheer, and luxuriate in along with your family members. All you want for this pudding is ragi or nachni flour (finger millet flour), milk, sugar, ghee, your primary flavorings and a few nuts.
This Ragi Kheer recipe is supremely straightforward and will get made inside half-hour. You may even skip including the dry fruits and saffron when you want to. This candy dish can be gluten-free and fairly a hearty one. Have it in breakfast or as an after-meal dessert.
The Ragi Pudding combination ought to be lump-free whereas cooking. To keep away from the lumps, add scorching milk in batches and preserve stirring very nicely. When you add milk at room temperature, there are excessive probabilities of lump formation.
Ragi is a wholesome millet wealthy in proteins, fibre, calcium and iron. Often known as the ‘marvel grain’ for weight reduction. Actually useful for individuals with diabetes and infants. Ragi Porridge is a well-liked and wholesome meals given to children.
Thus, it’s at all times a good suggestion to incorporate ragi/nachni usually in your weight loss plan. Apart from this nutritious Ragi Kheer, you may make Ragi Ladoo, Ragi Dosa and Ragi Mudde. Whereas making your chapati and roti too, add some ragi flour within the dough and make Ragi Roti.
How you can make Ragi Kheer
Boil Milk and Roast Ragi Flour
1. Firstly, warmth 1.5 cups of complete milk in a thick bottomed pan until it involves a boil. Put aside.
2. Then, in one other thick bottomed pan or kadai, warmth 1 tablespoon ghee.
3. Scale back the warmth to low, add 1.5 tablespoons ragi flour.
4. Sauté and stir constantly. Quickly, the ragi flour will flip aromatic. It takes about 2 to three minutes on low warmth. Stir constantly in order that the ragi flour will get roasted nicely and evenly.
5. Now, pour 2 tablespoons scorching milk. We’ve got used 1.5 cups scorching milk general. However the scorching milk must be added in small batches.
After including 2 tablespoons scorching milk, stir constantly in order that the ragi flour combines nicely with the milk. The combination ought to be easy and lump free.
6. Now, add 2 tablespoons extra of scorching milk. Preserve stirring constantly whereas including the milk. Be certain that there aren’t any lumps fashioned. We’d like a easy combination for the kheer.
7. Now pour the remaining scorching milk and blend very nicely.
8. Subsequent, add ¼ cup sugar or in keeping with style. Combine and stir nicely.
9. Add 5 to six finely chopped cashews, 2 to three finely chopped pistachios and a pair of to three finely chopped almonds. You may add kind of nuts as per your desire.
10. Sprinkle ⅛ teaspoon cardamom powder.
11. Add 6 to 7 saffron strands (elective).
Make Ragi Kheer
12. Combine nicely and simmer for two to three minutes on low to medium-low warmth.
13. You will notice the kheer thickening.
14. The kheer can even begin effervescent and rising. Preserve stirring the ragi kheer usually.
15. The ragi kheer needs to be of medium consistency. After 1 to 2 minutes, flip off the warmth.
16. Serve Ragi Kheer scorching, heat or chilled as a dessert or for breakfast.
Word that on cooling, the kheer turns into thick. As soon as the kheer has come to a room temperature, then refrigerate.
- Flour: Use recent ragi flour which is in its shelf interval. A giant no to rancid flour. You may even make this Ragi Pudding with sprouted ragi flour.
- Sweetener: Along with sugar, different sweeteners that you would be able to add on this kheer are jaggery, palm sugar and coconut sugar. Simply ensure that the milk doesn’t curdle after including these. So, it’s best so as to add after ready for 4 to five minutes, put up the completion of cooking.
- Spices: Historically, cardamom powder is at all times added in Indian Kheer recipes. If you wish to take heed to your adventurous aspect, experiment with vanilla, nutmeg powder or clove powder.
- Nuts and dry fruits: Use any of those – raisins, pine nuts, cashews, almonds, pistachios, and so on.
- Vegan choices: Your finest substitutes are almond milk and coconut milk. Nevertheless, consider to not overheat these after mixing with the ragi flour. Preserve the warmth to the bottom whereas including these. As soon as the milk is integrated, gently warmth via, and never boil or simmer. Coconut milk does curdle and separate, if boiled or overheated. Additionally, use coconut oil or any impartial oil instead of ghee.
- Scaling: Make much less or extra by halving or doubling the recipe.
- Storage: Leftover Ragi Kheer could be refrigerated after it involves room temperature. However it is going to thicken on cooling. So, earlier than serving, dilute the thick consistency by including some extra milk.
Please make sure you charge this recipe within the recipe card beneath if in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Signal Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Fb, Pinterest or Twitter.
Ragi Kheer | Ragi Pudding
Ragi Kheer is a candy pudding made with ragi flour (finger millet flour), milk, sugar, cardamom powder, nuts and ghee. A straightforward recipe that comes collectively in half-hour.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 10 minutes
Complete Time 20 minutes
Forestall your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Roasting ragi flour
Then in one other thick bottomed pan or kadai, warmth ghee.
Scale back the flame. First add 1.5 tablespoons of ragi flour.
Roast and stir constantly. Quickly the ragi flour will launch its aroma. It takes about 2 to three minutes on low warmth. Stir constantly in order that the ragi flour will get roasted nicely.
Now add 2 tablespoons of scorching milk.
After including 2 tablespoons of scorching milk, preserve constantly stirring so the ragi flour combines nicely within the milk, the combination ought to be easy and with none lumps.
Subsequent once more add extra 2 tablespoons of scorching milk, constantly preserve stirring. Be certain that there aren’t any lumps fashioned. We’d like a easy combination for the kheer. Now pour the remainder of scorching milk and blend totally.
Word that we have to add a complete of 1.5 cups of scorching milk. However we’re including first 4 tablespoons of the new milk in two rounds in order that there aren’t any lumps within the kheer.
Add ¼ cup of sugar and blend once more.
Add chopped cashews, pistachios and almonds.
Sprinkle cardamom powder and saffron strands.
Making ragi kheer
Combine once more and simmer for two to three minutes on low to medum-low warmth. You will notice the ragi kheer thickening.
The kheer will begin effervescent. Preserve stirring the kheer usually.
The ragi kheer needs to be of medium consistency. After 1 to 2 minutes change off the warmth.
You may serve ragi kheer scorching or heat or chilled as a dessert or for breakfast.
Garnish with sliced or chopped almonds, cashews or pistachios or just a few saffron strands whereas serving.
Do notice that on cooling, the consistency of ragi kheer will turn out to be thick. When the kheer has come to a room temperature, then refrigerate it.
You can even refrigerate any leftovers. On cooling ragi kheer will thicken.
Earlier than serving, combine a little bit of milk to dilute the thick consistency and heat or warmth the milk in a small pan.
- Ragi Flour: The ragi flour needs to be recent and in its shelf interval. Make sure that it isn’t rancid. You can even make this kheer with sprouted ragi flour.
- Sweeteners: You may add your alternative of sweeteners, however do ensure that the milk doesn’t curdle after including sweeteners. For sweeteners like palm sugar, coconut sugar and jaggery, it’s best so as to add them after a ready of 4 to five minutes as soon as the cooking is full.
- Nuts and dry fruits: Varied nuts and dry fruits like raisins, pine nuts, cashews, almonds, pistachios could be added.
- Vegan choices: Almond milk and coconut milk work finest on this recipe. Nevertheless do be sure that to not overheat these nuts milk after you combine with the ragi flour. When including, preserve the flame to the bottom. As soon as all of the milk is integrated, merely warmth via gently. Don’t boil or simmer. Coconut milk will curdle and separate if boiled or overheated. Use a impartial oil or coconut oil instead of ghee.
- Scaling: You may halve or double this recipe simply.
- Spices: Historically, in most kheer variants, cardamom powder is at all times added. If you’re feeling adventurous, experiment with vanilla, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder or clove powder.
Ragi Kheer | Ragi Pudding
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 224 Energy from Fats 90
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 5g31%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 1g
Ldl cholesterol 23mg8%
Vitamin A 202IU4%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin B12 1µg17%
Vitamin C 1mg1%
Vitamin D 2µg13%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Okay 1µg1%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 9µg2%
* P.c Each day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight loss plan.
This Ragi Kheer recipe put up from the archives first revealed in September 2016 has been republished and up to date on 12 July 2022.