Every nation desires of lifting the World Cup. Not one squad has come to Qatar only for the enjoyable of it — they’re all in it to win.
However the first stage of eliminations is sort of upon us because the match’s group stage attracts to an in depth. Half of the 32 groups that began in Qatar might be packing their luggage and heading house.
So, who wants what to outlive into the Spherical of 16?
Host nation Qatar, discovering themselves fourth of 4 of their group, had the ignominious honour of being the primary staff knocked out of this yr’s match. However at the very least they don’t have far to get house.
Ecuador and the Netherlands are tied on the prime of the group desk heading into the ultimate spherical of group video games, with 4 factors every. Senegal are only one level behind.
- The Netherlands want a win or a draw in opposition to Qatar to qualify for the final 16.
- Ecuador have to beat Senegal to ensure qualification.
- Senegal have to beat Ecuador to ensure qualification.
- If Ecuador vs Senegal is a draw, Ecuador will qualify — except Qatar beat the Netherlands, by which case Senegal will undergo.
This was at all times more likely to be probably the most aggressive group in addition to probably the most politically charged. The remaining matches see outdated rivals and geopolitical enemies dealing with off, and any of the 4 groups can nonetheless qualify, even when Wales — of their first World Cup since 1958 — solely stand a mathematical probability.
England prime the desk with 4 factors from two video games. Iran are second with three, after two injury-time targets in opposition to Wales on Friday. The USA are third within the group desk with two factors from two attracts, whereas Wales have the hardest battle for qualification with only one level.
- England will undergo to the Spherical of 16 except Wales beat them by 4 targets or extra.
- The USA have to beat Iran to progress to the knock-out phases.
- Iran have to beat the USA to ensure qualification, however a draw with the USA could be sufficient for Iran to progress — if Wales can not beat England.
- Wales want a minor miracle; they should beat England and have Iran vs USA finish with a draw. They might additionally progress and not using a attract that match so long as they will get a four-goal margin of victory over England. Don’t maintain your breath.
That is one other open group by which all 4 groups might nonetheless qualify. Mexico have only one level on the backside of the group desk, whereas Saudi Arabia and their shock victims Argentina have three factors every. Poland, with 4 factors, lead the group however they aren’t secure but.
- Poland solely want a draw in opposition to Argentina to ensure qualifying, although they might undoubtedly want a win.
- Argentina have to beat Poland to ensure their place within the Spherical of 16. A draw right here and Argentina are susceptible to being picked off on purpose distinction.
- If Saudi Arabia beat Mexico, they’re by to the following spherical. A draw with Mexico mixed with a loss for Poland in opposition to Argentina would additionally see them qualify. If Poland beat Argentina with an enormous purpose distinction, the Saudis should declare the second qualifying spot.
- Mexico have to win in opposition to the Saudis, and have Poland beat Argentina.
World champions France, with six factors from two video games, had been the primary staff in Qatar to e book their place within the Spherical of 16. That makes the remainder of the group permutations rather less complicated.
Australia have three factors, whereas Denmark and Tunisia have one every.
- Australia play Denmark — the winner will undergo with France
- Tunisia have to beat France by at the very least two targets and hope Australia and Denmark draw
Everybody anticipated Spain and Germany to sail by Group E. And everybody was half-right, at the very least, with Spain cruising comfortably on the prime with 4 factors from two video games. Germany, nevertheless, languish on the backside of the group, as coach Hansi Flick’s mission to get well Germany’s pre-2018 soccer glory seems a longer-term challenge than first hoped for.
Japan and Costa Rica have three factors every after their assembly on Sunday, that means any of the 4 groups might nonetheless qualify.
- Spain simply want a draw in opposition to Japan to qualify for the knock-out rounds.
- If Japan win in opposition to Spain, they’re by with six factors. In the event that they draw, they want Costa Rica and Germany to additionally draw. If Japan draw and Germany win, there’s nonetheless an opportunity Japan might undergo on purpose distinction.
- Costa Rica should beat Germany of their last group match to progress to the Spherical of 16.
- Germany have to beat Costa Rica and have Spain beat Japan with the intention to assure the second qualifying spot. But when Spain and Japan draw, Germany might want to beat Costa Rica by at the very least two targets. They might probably nonetheless undergo with a one-goal margin of victory over Costa Rica in the event that they rating greater than Japan of their hypothetical draw with Spain – eg, a 1-1 draw between Spain and Japan, and a 2-1 win for Germany over Costa Rica will see the Germans progress.
Canada had been the second staff to be reserving their flights house. Meaning Croatia, Morocco and Belgium can nonetheless qualify. The Belgians, ranked second on the earth, had been anticipated to prime this group, however their 2-0 mauling by Morocco on Sunday modified every little thing.
- Croatia and Morocco are sitting fairly with 4 factors every; Belgium have three.
- Croatia solely want a draw in opposition to Belgium on Thursday to ensure progress to the ultimate 16
- Belgium have to win that match to progress.
- Morocco simply want a draw in opposition to Canada to qualify from the group.
All 4 groups can nonetheless qualify from Group G, with two video games nonetheless to play at this finish of the World Cup schedule. Brazil and Switzerland have one win every, whereas Cameroon and Serbia stay with out making a mark on the group desk.
Cameroon tackle Serbia on Monday afternoon, earlier than Switzerland tackle Brazil. Whoever wins the second sport will qualify comfortably from the group with six factors. A draw and issues get fascinating.
Group H groups have additionally simply performed one sport thus far, with all to play for. Portugal are sitting fairly on the prime of the desk with three factors; South Korea and Uruguay have some extent apiece. Ghana has but to register some extent. Anybody might nonetheless qualify or get eradicated on the first hurdle.
A win for Portugal over Uruguay on Monday, which is way from assured, would put Cristiano Ronaldo’s males by to the Spherical of 16. South Korea face Ghana in Monday’s earlier sport. Watch this area.