Someplace between the Pav Bhaji, Vada Pav and the Kutchi Dabeli, a Masala Pav got here into existence; one other quite common snack on the streets of Mumbai in Maharashtra. The Masala Pav recipe has sliced pav or smooth fluffy bread rolls, full of a buttery, spiced onion-tomato-capsicum filling. Do that recipe and I’m certain you’ll find it irresistible.
What’s Masala Pav
Actually, ‘masala’ right here for this recipe would imply a savory spiced veggie combination and ‘pav’ is a basic eggless bread roll, a staple of Mumbai. So, mainly a Masala Pav is nothing however these two put collectively. Garnished with finely chopped onion, contemporary coriander and a squeeze of lemon, it makes for a yummy, tangy snack on-the-go!
Pav bhaji and Masala Pav are two of our high most picks in terms of avenue meals snacks. So, at any time when I make these at house as nicely, I at all times make the Pav too, from scratch. The aroma of freshly baked pav is solely mesmerizing, and comforting with out even biting into one.
Whereas the ‘metropolis of desires’ has each vendor referring to their very own Masala Pav recipe to make it stand out and be higher than the remaining, this specific recipe is my model of a really comforting and earthy one. I even use my do-it-yourself Pav Bhaji Masala for this recipe.
Extra On My Recipe
The Masala Pav recipe is considerably just like pav bhaji in style as a lot of the elements are similar in each – onions, tomatoes, capsicum and pav bhaji masala powder. These three veggies additionally kind the ‘holy trinity’ of this dish and a lot of the eating places too have these of their recipes.
In case you don’t have capsicum or inexperienced bell pepper, you may make this dish with crimson or yellow bell peppers too. Nonetheless, onions and tomatoes can’t be substituted as these are a should. Some variations additionally use mashed potatoes of their masala. My Masala Pav recipe doesn’t have it.
This recipe can simply be assembled by utilizing the leftover bhaji too. In that case, all it’s important to do is to arrange contemporary pav or dinner rolls by toasting them in butter. Then, jazz the whole factor up with the garnishes.
The pav that I bake at house are often barely bigger than those obtainable within the Indian bakeries. So, I take advantage of 4 pav buns for this Masala Pav recipe. For smaller sized pav, 5 to six buns will be simply used.
With the additional pav left, you’ll be able to at all times make many scrumptious recipes like Misal Pav and others as talked about above.
The Masala Pav is a very simple and delicious snack for instances once you wish to cook dinner one thing filling, however shortly. For making it as an important social gathering starter, you’ll be able to double or triple the measurements of this recipe.
How you can make Masala Pav
1. First slice 4 to five pav or dinner rolls into equal halves and put aside. Right here I’ve used do-it-yourself entire wheat dinner rolls.
2. Rinse and finely chop 1 medium onion (⅓ cup finely chopped onions) 2 medium tomatoes (1 cup finely chopped tomatoes) and 1 medium capsicum a.okay.a inexperienced bell pepper (½ cup finely chopped capsicum).
Additionally, crush 3 to 4 medium garlic cloves, ½ inch ginger and 1 to 2 inexperienced chilies to a paste in a mortar-pestle. Preserve apart.
3. Now, take a medium or giant sized tawa/skillet or a shallow frying pan. Soften 2 tablespoons butter on it. You too can use oil as an alternative of butter.
4. Add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds and allow them to splutter on medium-low to medium warmth.
5. Then, add the crushed ginger-garlic-green chilies paste.
6. Stir and sauté for a couple of seconds till the uncooked aroma of ginger and garlic goes away.
7. Add the finely chopped onions.
8. Stir and blend nicely.
9. Sauté the onions until they flip translucent and soften.
10. Add finely chopped tomatoes.
11. Stir and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes on medium-low to medium warmth.
12. Subsequent add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon crimson chili powder and 3 to 4 teaspoons Pav Bhaji Masala.
You possibly can add the pav bhaji masala in response to your style preferences.
13. Stir and blend the spice powders evenly with the sautéed onion-tomato combination.
14. Now, add the finely chopped capsicum (bell pepper).
15. Sauté for two minutes.
16. Season with salt as required. Stir to mix.
17. Add ⅓ cup of water.
18. Deliver the combination to a simmer on medium-low to medium warmth. Including water softens and cooks the tomatoes very nicely.
19. The combination will thicken and scale back because it simmers.
20. Cut back the warmth to low and let the masala come to the consistency as proven within the image beneath. There shouldn’t be plenty of liquids within the masala, as then it will make the pav soggy.
21. Deliver the masala to 1 facet of the tawa or pan.
Make Masala Pav
22. Soften 1 to 2 tablespoons butter on the empty house within the tawa or pan or skillet.
In case you want you should use one other frying pan or skillet to toast the pav or dinner rolls.
23. Place the pav slices on the butter. Toast them flippantly or you’ll be able to simply allow them to take up the butter. You possibly can toast extra additionally if you’d like.
24. Flip over and toast the opposite facet. If you’d like you’ll be able to add extra butter.
25. Now, place the masala evenly on the pav with the spoon or spatula.
26. Masala Pav is able to be served. In the identical place, soften some extra butter and toast the opposite pav, until all of the masala is used up.
27. Place the Masala Pav on a serving plate.
28. Garnish with finely chopped onions, coriander leaves and lemon wedges. Serve Masala Pav scorching.
Squeeze some lemon on it and savor them with your loved ones of associates. You too can sprinkle some wonderful sev or grated cheese on the Masala Pav.
- Whereas it’s obligatory to make use of butter for an genuine avenue model taste, you’ll be able to even use oil to cook dinner the masala.
- You possibly can hold the masala prepared. However toast the pav and unfold it on them simply earlier than serving with a purpose to benefit from the most.
- Although Masala Pav tastes fab when a bit of spicy, it may be adjusted in response to the choice of your spice ranges.
- Some sev (fried gram flour vermicelli) can be used as a garnish on the Masala Pav. Yearning for cheese? Add some grated cheese on scorching Masala Pav, let it soften barely and luxuriate in a tacky model.
- The leftover masala can be utilized to high on toasted breads as nicely for a fast Masala Bread Toast variation.
Please make sure you price this recipe within the recipe card beneath when you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Signal Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Fb, Pinterest or Twitter.
Masala Pav recipe has sliced pav or smooth, fluffy bread rolls, topped with a buttery, spiced onion-tomato-capsicum filling. Makes for a straightforward, fast and attractive snack.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 20 minutes
Whole Time 30 minutes
Stop your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
First slice all of the pav or dinner rolls into equal halves and hold apart.
Rinse and finely chop onion, tomatoes, and capsicum (inexperienced bell pepper).
Additionally crush the garlic cloves, ginger and inexperienced chilies to a paste in a mortar-pestle. Preserve apart.
Now take a medium or giant sized tava (skillet) or a shallow frying pan.
Soften 2 tablespoons butter. You too can use oil as an alternative of butter. Add cumin seeds and allow them to splutter.
Then add the crushed ginger+garlic+inexperienced chilies paste.
Stir and sauté for a couple of seconds until the uncooked aroma of ginger and garlic goes away.
Add the finely chopped onions. Stir and blend nicely. Sauté the onions until they soften and turn into translucent.
Add finely chopped tomatoes. Stir and saute for 3 to 4 minutes on a medium-low to medium warmth.
Add turmeric powder, crimson chili powder, pav bhaji masala. You possibly can add the pav bhaji masala as per style.
Stir and blend the bottom spices very nicely with the onion-tomato combination.
Now add the finely chopped capsicum and saute for two minutes.
Season with salt as required. Stir and blend. Add water and once more stir to mix.
Deliver the combination to a simmer on a medium-low to medium warmth. Including water softens and cook dinner the tomatoes.
The combination will thicken and scale back because it simmers.
Cut back the warmth to a low and let the masala come to the consistency as proven within the picture beneath. There shouldn’t be plenty of liquids within the masala, as then it will make the pav soggy.
Deliver the masala to 1 facet of the tava or pan.
Making masala pav
Soften 1 to 2 tablespoon butter on the empty house within the middle of the frying pan or skillet or tawa.
Place the pav slices on the butter. Toast them flippantly or you’ll be able to simply allow them to take up the butter. You possibly can toast extra additionally if you happen to want.
Flip over and toast the opposite facet. If you’d like you’ll be able to add extra butter.
Now place the ready sautéed masala combination on the pav halves evenly with the spoon or spatula.
Place the pav on a serving plate.
In the identical means, soften butter and toast the opposite pav as nicely, until all of the masala is used up.
Garnish masala pav with finely chopped onions, coriander leaves and lemon wedges.
Serve masala pav scorching. Drizzle some lemon juice on the masala pav and savor them with your loved ones of associates.
- Any impartial taste oil can be utilized as an alternative of butter.
- You possibly can decide to make use of salted or unsalted butter.
- Regulate the spices and seasonings in response to your style preferences.
- Use dinner rolls which might be smooth and fluffy.
- The recipe will be doubled or tripled to make for potlucks or small events.
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 465 Energy from Fats 216
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 13g81%
Trans Fats 1g
Polyunsaturated Fats 2g
Monounsaturated Fats 7g
Ldl cholesterol 45mg15%
Vitamin A 1478IU30%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 4mg20%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin B12 1µg17%
Vitamin C 72mg87%
Vitamin D 1µg7%
Vitamin E 2mg13%
Vitamin Ok 14µg13%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 82µg21%
* % Each day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie weight loss program.
This Masala Pav recipe put up from the archives first printed in November 2015 has been republished and up to date on 13 June 2022.